Search the KHIT Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

"There IS no prescription for the Lean Transformation." #HCsummit15 day one


Nice conference hotel (tightwad here is staying offsite, at a La Quinta out by the airport). Great conference breakfast. I did show up for that.

Below, the calm before the opening Keynote storm.


Lots of cool books.


Glad to see they are offering the Edgar Schein book "Humble Inquiry." I've studied it and cited and excerpted it on the blog.

The ballroom stage lighting and audio were woefully inadequate. Two sparse trees at the back of the room, far from the stage. No upper backlighting. Amateur hour. Had to crank my cameras up to Night Vision, to little avail.


Yeah, I know, HIMSS it isn't. I probably won't try much more photography here. I beefed repeated on twitter, but nothing changed.

John Toussaint, MD. "Thought Leader." Action Leader.
"There IS no prescription for the Lean Transformation."

LEI's Chet Marchwinski
Beth Daley Ullem's story about the loss of her baby to medical error was hard to hear.
I lost my first-born child to cancer, but she was 30 when she died (after excellent care).
I cannot fathom a mother's grief at losing her newborn.
Sutter Health's COO Michael Erikson.
Three great Keynotes.

I attended two technical sessions, one one "cultural differences" (hoping for some discussion of things along the line of "Just Culture"), and one presented by the Stanford Children's Hospital analytics group: "The Power of Scientific Thinking, PDSA, and Analytics."

Lots of smart, accomplished, dedicated people.

I tweeted this at one point:


Refers to this post of mine last year.
@BobbyGvegas says: August 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

There are 3 fundamental aspects of workflow in the digital era: physical tasks, IT (EHR) tasks, and cognitive tasks. Every certified EHR has to have an audit trail to comply with HIPAA, given that every time ePHI is created, viewed, updated, transmitted, or deleted the transaction must be “date-time/who/what/about whom” captured in the audit trail log.


The ePHI audit log, to me, is a workflow record component. It can’t tell me WHY front desk Susie or Dr. Simmons took so long to get from one transaction element to the next — i.e., physical movements or cognitive efforts — but it can tell me a lot, adroitly analyzed.


I worked for number of years as a credit risk and portfolio management analyst in a credit card bank. We had an in-house collections department that took up an entire football field sized building, housing about 1,000 call center employees. I had free run of the internal network and data warehouse. One day I just happened upon the call center database and the source code modules (written by an IT employee in FoxPro, which I already knew at an expert level). I could open up the collections call log and watch calls get completed in real time. We were doing maybe a million outbound calls a month (a small Visa/MC bank).

(My fav in the Comments field was “CH used fowl language,” LOL)

It was, in essence, an ongoing workflow record of collections activity.
I pulled these data over into SAS and ground them up. I could track and analyze all activity sorted by any criteria I wished, all the way down to the individual collector level. I could see what you did all day, and what we got (or didn’t) for your trouble.

I was [able to] rather quickly show upper management “Seriously? You dudes are spending $1,000 to collect $50, every day, every hour” etc. The misalignment was stunning. I started issuing a snarky monthly summary called “The Don Quixote Report” with a monthly “winner.” …Yeah, we called this hapless deadbeat 143 times this month trying to get 15 bucks out of him…

Well, it didn’t take long to squelch all that. We saved the bank 6 million dollars in Collections Department Ops costs that year via call center reforms. Didn’t exactly endear me to the VP of Collections, whose bonus was tied to his budget.

Gimme a SAS or Stata install and SQL access to the HIT audit logs, and I will tell you some pretty interesting (Wafts-of-Taylorism 2.0) workflow stories.
___

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment