Search the KHIT Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2016

SmartDraw Cloud app, a good workflow tool?

I've used both Visio and SmartDraw going back quite a while. I always liked the SmartDraw app net over Visio. Below, one of my HealthInsight SmartDraw visuals, a high-level workflow swimlanes graphic that attempts to depict, beyond simple logic paths, relative time consumption and waste. See my old deck "Workflow Demystified" (pdf)

And another. Conceptual elements of clinical workflow.

I whined repeatedly to the SmartDraw people (to no avail) regarding their refusal to put out a native Mac platform edition (I'm an unapologetic Mac snob). Well, maybe there's now a workaround.


I signed up today. They gave me the upgrade discount because I'd been a prior registered user of their Windows app, years ago. Nice.

After I paid and registered I popped out a simple chart in a couple of minutes going to stuff I've been reading of late (cognition, AI, evolution, etc).


Below, a Meaningful Use client Reno, NV doc workflow I did in SmartDraw.


apropos of this riff, see my post "Clinical workflow: "YAWL," y'all?"

SmartDraw has Venn Diagram functionality. I tossed this together in Apple Keynote in just a couple of minutes, prior to buying in to SmartDraw Cloud. I may try it in SmartDraw as well.


Sort of a quick summary take on the overlapping/intertwining topical interests I pursue here at KHIT. Mere wafts of the implicit, difficult interconnectedness.

UPDATE

My latest book. A relatively quick read, nicely done. Finished it during my plane ride to MSP for my grandson's college graduation.

...higher intelligence predicts a later death. Not only will better-educated people be more aware of how to stay healthy, but more qualifications allow entry into better jobs, which bring all the health benefits that more income provides... [Kindle Locations 496-498].
Health and mortality 
Brighter people tend to do healthier things: they exercise more, eat better and are less likely to smoke (Gottfredson, 2004). This might be down to their better education, or their greater ability to sensibly interpret the constant buzz of health-related information in the media. We also saw above that higher-IQ people tend to end up in higher social classes. As we’ve discussed thus far, these all seem very plausible reasons for the IQ– mortality link mentioned at the beginning of the chapter. 

Indeed, studies from the relatively new field of cognitive epidemiology (the study of the links between intellectual abilities and health and disease) have repeatedly found correlations between health and intelligence: smarter people are somewhat less likely to have medical conditions, like heart disease, obesity or hypertension, that decrease life expectancy. This is found for mental as well as physical health: large-scale studies have shown that those with lower intelligence test scores are more likely to be hospitalized for psychiatric conditions (Gale et al., 2010). The link seems particularly strong for schizophrenia: there might be a biological connection between schizophrenia and intelligence, and being more intelligent might help patients cope with the disorder’s often frightening and confusing symptoms (Kendler et al., 2014). 

The IQ– health connection is found even controlling for social class, and is even found in very rich countries with free, first-class health care available to all (for example, one study found the link in Luxembourg (Wrulich et al., 2014)). 

It’s no surprise, then, that there’s such an impressive link between intelligence and mortality. Figure 3.2 illustrates this relation with data from a Swedish study of almost a million men. People in the lowest of the nine IQ categories were over three times more likely to die in the 20 years after their testing session than those with the highest IQ scores... [Kindle Locations 550-565]. 
Yeah, genetic and "Upstream" factors.
____________

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment