Search the KHIT Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2017

#Innovate50 2017

Good Morning AARP Innovation 50+ 2017!


I'm running behind in my blogging. I almost bailed and didn't come this time. We just got some extremely bad dx news. Yet another immediate family member has been diagnosed with advanced cancer. I guess 15 years of next-of-kin caregiver duty wasn't enough. Have to suck it up and strap back in.

But, I have to say, hearing Richard Lui's bracing caregiver story during his interview with Alexandra Drane was leavening. Have to tamp down my Pity Party just a bit.

Richard poignantly recounted his ongoing caregiver routine with his Alzheimers-afflicted Dad. I could relate. My late Dad didn't have Alzheimer's, but he languished in LTC for seven years with increasingly severe dementia. I "interviewed" him once in the nursing home.


And, after that, hearing Missy Krasner recount her decades of caregiver duty with her Mom was another whack upside the head.


We're mostly all in this together at some point. Really glad I came, tired as I am.
__

Thursday morning: So, today is "FinTech" day, 'eh?

Couldn't resist.

"Financial Tech," huh. I'll be all ears. For one thing, recall my prior post "Rationing by 'Price'."

BTW, be sure to grab a copy of Jo Ann Jenkins' book:


I will certainly study it in detail and report on it.


UPDATE

Friday morning. I'm home. I live 65 miles from the conference site, in Antioch out by Brentwood. Took me 3 hours to get home. We wrapped at 3:46, I thought "hey, I can be on the road by 4, maybe beat much of the crush."

I was wrong. Got home a bit after 7 pm. Got my fix of NPR (KQED specifically), that's for sure.


Gotta dump and triage all of my photos, and review my notes. Lots to reflect upon. For now, let me note another book. Day 2 Keynoter Jean Chatzky's new collaborative release.


My reading is piling up.


Great presentation.

I have to give major Props to AARP for continuously stepping up their game. This conference presentation was on par with those of Health 2.0. The two (somewhat overlapping) topics of "caregiver" and "financial tech" innovations could not be more timely.

Congratulations to the pitch competition winners.



The full list of pitch competition finalists and alternates is here.
__

Well, this is one way to put things...
Old Farts Represent a Huge $ Market for Alternative Financial Services

[CARDTRAK STAFF, APRIL 13, 2017] The economic buying power of the 50-plus population who are increasingly turning to alternative financial services due to feeling that traditional bank offerings are not meeting all of their financial needs is enormous. Fintech companies are hoping to tap into this market by offering digital tools to address the unprecedented financial stress and complexity faced by this demographic.

People aged 50-plus will generate $83 billion in revenue for the fast-emerging alternative financial services sector over the next five years, according to AARP’s Financial Innovation Frontiers report. The research also found that only one in four 50-plus consumers is highly confident they can meet their financial needs in the next five years.

The research found that the 50-plus segment will spend $15.3 billion in the alternative financial services sector by the end of 2017, and that number is expected to grow by a healthy 4.25% annually through 2021. In addition, this industry is expected to syphon off $1.6 billion from banking revenue on checking and savings, consumer credit card and lending products in the next four years in addition to $1.2 billion in organic growth.


Other key findings of the Financial Innovation Frontiers report... (read the entire article)
__

UPDATE

Wow. Cool. They've posted the entire videos from both days! 15 hours of footage. (Day One program begins at 18 minutes in).


Day Two:

 

If you didn't attend, I recommend you watch all of these.
__

SOME RANDOM PHOTOS OF MINE

AARP had two professional photographers documenting the event, so I didn't work the room like I might normally otherwise do. Just took shots from my front-row seat amid scribbling in my notebook. A few random pics below.


That's enough for now. I have more. Shot a couple hundred across the two days (including a number via my iPhone).

I also have to give a shout-out to a delightful young man I sat with during the Day 2 morning session and then had lunch with. George Song, of MoreHealth.com.


BTW: You can follow AARP Innovation 50+ on Twitter here.

@Innovationat50
Also, avail yourselves of this report (pdf)

__

My one critical conference observation goes to presentation recommendations. I found most of the pitches anxious and stiff, a parade of forced Toastmaster Moments to one degree or another. I don't underestimate the difficulty of the high-stakes time-constrained venue, and the fact that these startup Principals are tech and business management people, not performers (like I used to be), but I repeat the recommendations I proffered at the end of last year's Lean Healthcare Transformation Summit I covered. See my take on "The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs."

Not the stuff about stage lighting and info-diarrhea slides (scroll past that material), the lessons going to pitch delivery. Among other things,
  1. You really need to have your presentation down cold. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, to the point you could do it in your sleep. No nervous, furtive quick glances down at the teleprompter/monitor, commit your presentation deeply to memory (inclusive of its time consumption), and;
  2. Move around (and use confident "body language"). Most of the presenters "hit their (blue masking tape) mark" and stayed stuck there. The video cameras are all on swivel head tripods. Put some physical anima in your presentations.
The trial lawyer's maxim is "he/she with the best story wins!" And, while the "story" in these cases is of course the effectiveness/utility/value propositions of the pitched apps/services, you are part of those stories while pitching them from a stage. Otherwise we could just watch a narrated video or slide deck or read the brochure.

One other thing that caught my ear. I again heard it proffered that peoples' "digital footprints" (a.k.a. "digital exhaust") might serve as "big data" grist for derivation of individualized drill-down metrics such as a "proxy FICO score." Don't get me started on that BS. I used to work in subprime risk modeling and management.
During one of the Health 2.0 WinterTech events I watched one presenter demo an AI-assisted app purporting to dynamically calculate and update your personal "health score" using, among other online factors, your social media activity. What could possibly go wrong there?
I have more thoughts, which I hope to get to ASAP, but I'm unexpectedly overwhelmed these days...

CODA

My younger daughter Danielle recently got a devastating diagnosis of Stage IV metastatic pancreatic cancer (she's gone "public" with the news on FB, and gave me permission to write about it). Danielle is particularly special to me.

We lost her older sister "Sissy" to liver cancer 19 years ago. I am just speechless.

One of her friends started a crowdfunding page, regarding which we could not be more grateful.

PS

The March for Science draws nigh. I've been intending to participate on the San Francisco event. Just in via my email inbox:

____________

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment