Search the KHIT Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Parkinson's during a pandemic

Dopamine and Microglia, Where Art Thou?

What a year. Last December I was formally dx'd with Parkinson's Disease (PD). Looking back, it was evident back in 2017, at which time I'd misattributed my encroaching symptoms to my relentless stress over my late younger daughter's pancreatic cancer ordeal.

There are about 12-13 cardinal PD symptoms. I now exhibit seven of them—tremor (on my left side), muscle stiffness, lightheadedness / balance issues (I'm an elevated fall risk), increasingly cramped, illegible handwriting, reduced sense of taste and smell, episodic chronic constipation, and fatigue. PD severity is typically ordinal-ranked in five stages—1-5. I am pretty firmly now a "2."
The tremor stuff now manifests itself as a twitchy left hand while using my mouse, LOL, causing me recurring inadvertent irrelevant ad click-thru's. I'm screwing up my Google-Facebook surveillance / tracking profile.
It's difficult to tease out some of these gnawing effects from those causally associated with our acutely worsening Covid-19 pandemic (not to mention the concomitant Trump Groundhog Day shitshow). Lying low interminably has its adverse upshots.

While my guitar chops are going to Hell, at least I can now auto-stir my coffee. Put the spoon in the cup, grab it, and off it goes.


I just have to be grateful for my relative good fortune. Great marriage, wonderful new grandson and great-grandson, great extended familiy and more friends than I deserve, financially solvent, fully back on pace with my life-long-unlearner voluminous reading, trying to stay positive, and get my focus back...

UPDATE: 269 DAZE
 
DEC 8TH UPDATE
 
1.4 million new US Covid cases across the first 7 days of the month.

 
About 25k of that cohort will be dead in a month or so. And so on.

DECEMBER 9TH
 
A US average of 203k new daily cases thus far, more than 1.6 million across the first 8 days of the month.


Ugh. But...


What can one say?
_________

No comments:

Post a Comment