Search the KHIT Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2019

et Tua?

Alabama star QB Tua Tagovailoa is out for at least the remainder of the 2019 season. His football career may be over.


Ours is an enthusiastic college football house. Specifically a "Roll TIDE!" house. My Alabama native wife is 'Bama Class of '72. She knew Bear Bryant and knew and worked for Joe Namath. We met at Joe Namath's Restaurant in Birmingham in 1974 when I was on tour playing guitar for Merillee Rush during my musician life.

I seriously owe ya, Mer'.

My Alabama extended family in-laws are also full-tilt 'Bama fans. This Damned Yankee, a subsequent 1985 Tennessee grad, has long gotten over my Vols' chronic SEC and national ranking subordinate status. Roll Tide, it is.

I have always loved football. Played varsity center in high school (where I got my butt severely kicked every week, as the smallest center in the conference at 5'10" and 165 lbs). When I was young, the NFL kept my rapt attention. As I've aged, though, pro ball has taken a back seat to college ball. The high-energy enthusiasm of kids with everything on the line, most of whom will never go on to pro leagues.

Of course, like most people, I am always aware of the significant injury risks associated with football (and the other "collision sports"). Concussion gets all the media ink (impelling some to Quixotically call for banning college football), but Tua's injury is terribly serious as well, and could well end his storied football days (he'd been touted to be a NLF 1st round draft pick). His hip was dislocated, and he suffered a complicating posterior wall fracture.

I'm sure he will get A+ medical treatment.

I tweeted:
Most people are blithely unaware that NCAA "full-ride" college athletic scholarships can be revoked in the wake of serious injury, and that they are typically contingent on a yearly basis.

I'll be watching what happens to Tua closely. Hoping for a full recovery as quickly as possible, and his return to the game.


UPDATE

Just in at STATnews:

Concussions, broken bones, and more: a week of football in the U.S.
By KATHLEEN BACHYNSKI, LISA KEARNS, and ARTHUR CAPLAN NOVEMBER 27, 2019


News about concussions and other injuries to young football players appears with alarming frequency, as do reports of the long-term damage to NFL players.

Young pro players are leaving the game for fear of permanent harm to their brains and bodies. Last month, Joshua Perry discussed his retirement at age 24 after suffering six concussions. He’s following in the footsteps of A.J. Tarpley, who retired at age 23, also because of concussion concerns.

In March, USA Today called for a ban on tackle football for kids under 14, and one month later the journal Pediatrics reported results from a survey in which a majority of parents who responded supported age restrictions on tackling…
"WE WERE JUST LITTLE KIDS, MOX"


Great movie. Raunchy, profane (NSFW), and over the top slapstick, yeah, but spot-on serious message.

NEUROTRAINER

Recall my niece's husband Jeff Nyquist is a VC-funded startup CEO.

https://www.neurotrainer.com

Among their technologies are concussion risk mitigation and remediation tx in the collision sports. I've sent Jeff and April the STAT article link. I follow their progress and cite them episodically.
_____________

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment