Search the KHIT Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

In fewer than eight months,

the arc of history may well take a sharp, adverse turn away from any rational notion of civilized justice.


A painfully hilarious read. Andrew Marantz is an Old Soul of a writer at the age of 39. I’m having an interesting reaction. I have not been feeling well lately (Parkinson’s getting worse). Curiously, this book is making me feel better physically. OK, back to reading. More to come. Stay tuned.


I finally finished this book. Kindle Reader pegs it at 15 hours, 2 minutes. Lotta book here, lotta fine writing. This is the first post in which I've cited all my my excerpts using the Kindle Reader #Kindlequotes functionality. I would click-drag-highlight sections as I was going through the book and save them iteratively as jpegs.
 
This book is a 2019 release. Things don't appear to be getting materially better in the aggregate with respect to ill-will / bad faith polarizing mis/disinformation. See some of my priors posts citing "disinformation."

I came to the author via one of his recent New Yorker articles.

...A camp of techno-optimists rebuffs A.I. doomerism with old-fashioned libertarian boomerism, insisting that all the hand-wringing about existential risk is a kind of mass hysteria. They call themselves “effective accelerationists,” or e/accs (pronounced “e-acks”), and they believe A.I. will usher in a utopian future—interstellar travel, the end of disease—as long as the worriers get out of the way. On social media, they troll doomsayers as “decels,” “psyops,” “basically terrorists,” or, worst of all, “regulation-loving bureaucrats.” “We must steal the fire of intelligence from the gods [and] use it to propel humanity towards the stars,” a leading e/acc recently tweeted. (And then there are the normies, based anywhere other than the Bay Area or the Internet, who have mostly tuned out the debate, attributing it to sci-fi fume-huffing or corporate hot air.)...
_________
 


No comments:

Post a Comment