Search the KHIT Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

"Bad, sick people"

TRUMP: These are bad sick people, but …

STAFFER: That was your coup, you know, against you.

TRUMP: Well, it started right at the …

STAFFER: Like when Milley is talking about, “oh, you were going to try to do a coup.” No, they were trying to do that before you even were sworn in.

[0:16] UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: That’s right.

STAFFER: Trying to overthrow your election.
TRUMP: Well, with Milley-uh, let me see that, I’ll show you an example. He said that I wanted to attack Iran.

[PAPERS SHUFFLING]

[0:27] 
TRUMP: Isn’t it amazing? I have a big pile of papers, this thing just came up. Look. 
[PAPERS SHUFFLING] 
This was him. They presented me this – this is off the record – but they presented me this. This was him. This was the Defense Department and him.

[0:44] WRITER: Wow.

TRUMP: We looked at some. This was him. This wasn’t done by me, this was him. All sorts of stuff – pages long, look.

STAFFER: Mm.
TRUMP: Wait a minute, let’s see here. 
[PAPERS SHUFFLING]

[0:55] UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: Oh my gosh.

STAFFER: [Laughter] Yeah.

TRUMP: I just found, isn’t that amazing? This totally wins my case, you know.

STAFFER: Mm-hm.

TRUMP: Except it is like, highly confidential.
 [1:06] 
STAFFER: Yeah. [Laughter]
TRUMP: Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this. You attack, and …
STAFFER: Hillary would print that out all the time, you know.

TRUMP: She’d send it …

STAFFER: Her private emails.
 [1:15] 
TRUMP: No, she’d send it to Anthony Weiner.

MULTIPLE: (Laughter) Yeah.

TRUMP: The pervert.

STAFFER: Please print.
TRUMP: By the way. Isn’t that incredible?

STAFFER: Yeah. 
[1:23] 
TRUMP: I was just thinking, because we were talking about it. And you know, he said, “he wanted to attack Iran, and what …”

TRUMP: These are the papers.

STAFFER: You did.

TRUMP: This was done by the military and given to me. Uh, I think we can probably, right?

[1:39] STAFFER: I don’t know, we’ll, we’ll have to see. Yeah, we’ll have to try to – 
TRUMP: Declassify it.

STAFFER: – figure out a – yeah.

TRUMP: See as president I could have declassified it.

STAFFER: Yeah. [Laughter]
 [1:46] 
TRUMP: Now I can’t, you know, but this is still a secret.

STAFFER: Yeah. [Laughter] Now we have a problem.
TRUMP: Isn’t that interesting?

STAFFER: Yeah

TRUMP: It’s so cool, I mean, it’s so, look, her and I, and you probably almost didn’t believe me, but now you believe me.

[1:56] WRITER: No, I believed you.

TRUMP: It’s incredible, right?

WRITER: No, they never met a war they didn’t want.
TRUMP: Hey, bring some, uh, bring some Cokes in please. [2:02]
Ok, then...
 
UPDATES
 
Ok, Trump brazenly claims that the audio exonerates him, that there was no secret Iran attack "document," he was just waving around newspaper clippings, magazine articles, and golf course building plans, while "engaging in bravado" with those present (meaning he was lying, to try to impress them).
 
Why am I utterly not surprised? 
Donald Trump, once again, wants us not to believe our own lying ears. The template for this defense was set on October 7, 2016, when the Washington Post published a tape of Trump laughing crudely as he described to the “Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush his ability to do what he wanted with women (“grab ’em by the pussy”), because “when you’re a star, they let you do it.” The gaslighting that followed the leaking of that tape was a master class in Trump’s ability to obfuscate, bluster, and brazen his way out of the trouble that his big mouth had got him into—even if it meant denying that he meant what everyone had heard him say.

We are about to find out now whether Trump’s deny-it-even-if-you-said-it approach has any chance of succeeding in a federal courtroom, where he stands accused of thirty-seven criminal counts of taking classified documents from the White House and obstructing efforts by the government to reclaim them. Trump’s own words, captured on tape on July 21, 2021, about one such document—an alleged Pentagon war plan for Iran—figured prominently in the indictment, given that Trump was recorded at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, claiming that he possessed it and admitting that he knew showing it off was wrong. On Monday, CNN broadcast the audio. Talk about a gotcha tape…
[Susan B. Glasser]
__________
 

No comments:

Post a Comment